South Africa Defence Force
Witwatersrand Command Signal Unit 1952 - 1997
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0054]
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0055]
Beret Command Button Badge
The Button badge of Witwatersand bears the Gold Stamp, which was used to crush the ore of the gold bearing rock which is mined in the province.
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0384]
The lineage, designations and history of Witwatersrand Command Signal Unit started in 1902 before the end of the Anglo Boer War when the Transvaal Volunteer Corps formed in Johannesburg.
In 1947 a detachment from 10 Brigade Signal Squadron, Western Transvaal Command were sent to Auckland Park, Johannesburg. In 1954 the detachment was officially transferred and designated the Witwatersrand Command Signal Detachment and based at Auckland Park. The Detachment was re-designated the Witwatersrand Command Signal Troop 1961.
In 1963 the Troop was again re-designated as Witwatersrand Command Signal Squadron. The Squadron moved in 1970 to Doornkop Military Base and on 1st September 1971 it was re-designated 107 Signal Squadron. The following year 107 Signal Squadron moved to Forest Hill but returned back to Doornkop in 1974.
The Squadron was given Unit status on 1st August 1975 with the designation of Witwatersrand Command Signal Unit. On 21st August 1992 the Command was presented with National Colours.
On 1st April 1997 the Witwatersrand Command merged with Northern Transvaal Command and formed the Gauteng Command. The Signal Units from each Command also merged to form the Gauteng Signal Unit.
These are an example pair of Witwatersrand Command Signal Unit flashes. They are a metal based badge faced in coloured epoxy resin, secured by three stick pins.
Witwatersrand Command Signal Unit insignia is a Gold Stamp on a shield of vertical Signal Corps colours of Green, light Blue and Dark Blue.