Transvaal Signalling & Field Telegraph Corps
Cap/Collar badge 1903-1923
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0294]
Above is pictured the Transvaal badge in white metal. It was produced both in white metal and in bronze as below. These badges were worn both as cap and collar badges. During WW1 the amalgamated Transvaal and Natal units were referred to as the South African Field Telegraph and Postal Corps. Their badge was in essence a copy of these Transvaal badges but of a lesser quality.
The Signalling detachments in Natal were amalgamated with, or into, the Natal Telegraph Corps in 1903 and consisted at that time of two Troops of 50 men. In the Zulu Rebellion of 1905-1906 the unit was reinforced by Post and Telegraph staff.
The Natal Telegraph Corps (NTC) amalgamated with the Transvaal Signalling Corps in 1914 and incorporated into the South African Field Telegraph and Postal Corps (SAFT&PC). On 30th September 1914 permission was granted for the temporary embodiment of members of the Natal Telegraph Corps and the Transvaal Signalling & Field Telegraph Corps. The Corps saw service in the rebellion and the German South West Africa campaign which ended on July 1915. The SAFT & PC was disbanded on 30 September 1915. However the Natal and Transvaal Signalling units did not officially disband until 1 November 1923 when the South African Corps of Signals (SACS) Active Citizens Force (ACF) was formed.
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0298]