South Africa Defence Force
South West Africa Command Signal Unit 1976 - 1980
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0047]
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0127]
Breast or Pocket badge (right) is a size reduced shield of the same construction and design as the larger shoulder flash. It is secured by two stick pins to a leather or vinyl fob and is buttoned on to the breast pocket.
The lineage, designations and history of the South West Africa Command Signal Unit. Beginning as South West Africa Command Signal Detachment in 1952 as an Active Citizen Force (ACF). With a Permanent Force (PF) in 1954 of the same designation. Both ACF and PF being re-designated Signal Detachment South West Africa Command in 1959.
Re-resignated in 1961 South West Africa Command Signal Troop and in 1967 the ACF was re-designated as 20 Signal Squadron.
In 1971 the PF was re-designated 108 Signal Squadron and the ACF became a PF and re-designated 208 Signal Squadron.
In 1976 with Headquarters in Windhoek the South West Africa Command Signal Unit was formed and absorbed 108 and 208 Signal Squadrons.
In 1980 it became a Territorial Force and re-designated 1 South West Africa Signal Regiment. The Regiment was primarily responsible for the territory south of what was known as the Red Line. The territory south of the Red Line included Sectors 30, 40, 50 and 60. See South West Africa SWATF.
These are a example pair of the South West Africa Command Signal Unit flashes. They are a metal based badge faced in coloured epoxy resin, secured by three stick pins.
South West Africa Command Signal Unit insignia is Fort Namutoni with a diamond dexter and sinister from the coat of arms of the South West Africa Territory on a shield of vertical Signal Corps colours of Green, light Blue and Dark Blue.
Pocket or Breast badge
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0410]