South Africa Defence Force
Southern Cape Signal Unit 1975 - 1986
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0010]
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0011]
The Southern Cape Command Signal unit was so titled on 1st August 1975. Its lineage started in 1955 and was raised as the Outenique Signal Company. In 1960 it was re-designated South West District Command Signal Squadron. In the following year it was again re-designated Southern Cape Command Signal Squadron. On 1st September the designation was changed to 109 Signal Squadron and on the 1st August 1975 finally designated as the South Cape Command Signal Unit. The Unit was disbanded on 1st August 1986.
This is an example of pair of South Cape Command flashes. These are a metal based badge faced in coloured epoxy resin, secured by three stick pins. Notice the slight ‘greening’ of the light blue of SA 0011 this is due to the effects of UV light. Worn flashes would have had exposure to sunlight and this is the cause of that exposure. It is commonly found with all the epoxy SA flashes.
Note: Many formations have left and right handed badges and some have the colour sequence also handed. The South Cape Command Signal Unit have the same badge on each shoulder with no transposition of emblem or colours
The South Cape Command Signal Unit insignia is a plume of three ostrich feathers on a shield of the Signal Corps colours of Green, light Blue and Dark Blue. The ostrich feathers were taken from the arms of the Southern Cape Command where it represented the ostrich farming industry.
Pocket or Breast badge
Breast or Pocket badge is a size reduced shield of the same construction and design as the larger shoulder flash. It is secured by two stick pins to a leather or vinyl fob and is buttoned on to the breast pocket.
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0000]