South Africa Defence Force
Northern Cape Command Signal Unit 1986 - 1994
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0007]
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0308]
Beret Command Button Badge
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0366]
The Northern Cape Command and Signal Unit was a re-established on 1st August 1986. The unit lineage started in 1952 and was raised as the North West Cape Command Signal Detachment. In 1959 it was re-designated Signal Detachment North West Cape Command. In 1961 it was again re-designated North West Cape Command Signal Troop which was disbanded 1968. On 1st August 1986 the unit was re-established and designated the Northern Cape Command and Signal Unit.
This is an example of a pair of Northern Cape Command Signal Unit flashes. They are a metal based badge faced in coloured epoxy resin, secured by three stick pins.
Note: Some formations have left and right handed badges and some have the colour sequence also handed. The Northern Cape Command Signal Unit had the same badge on each shoulder with no transposition of emblem or colours.
The Northern Cape Command Signal Unit insignia is a diamond on a shield of the Signal Corps colours of Green, light Blue and Dark Blue. The Faceted Diamond was taken from the arms of the Northern Cape Command where represented the prominent diamond mining industry region is known for.
Pocket or Breast badge
Breast or Pocket badge is a size reduced shield of the same construction and design as the larger shoulder flash. It is secured by two stick pins to a leather or vinyl fob and is buttoned on to the breast pocket.
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0085]
The Northern Province (Now called Limpopo Province) Beret Command Button badge is a diamond in gold on a green background.
The Faceted Diamond was taken from the arms of the Northern Cape Command. Which in turn derives it origin from that in 1866 a Erasmus Jacabs was out walking and picked up a shiny pebble which he put in his pocket. At the time, he did not know what it was. The pebble was later identified as being a diamond and by 1869 treasure hunters from all over the world came to the Northern Province in search of diamonds.
The Button disappeared in the mid 1990's in favour of just the Balkie badge alone which is positioned at the bottom of the badge.