South Africa Defence Force
Eastern Province Command Signal Unit 1975 - 1994
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0126]
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0033]
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0032]
The Eastern Province Command Signal Unit insignia is an elephant, on a shield of the Signal Corps colours of Green, light Blue and Dark Blue
Beret Command Button Badge
The button badge carries the insignia of the Eastern Command elephant on a green background.
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0086]
The lineage and designations: The Eastern Province Command Signal Unit’s origins can be traced back to the 1900’s. And it’s worth mentioning here, for its geographical reference, that the World distance record for a Heliograph message being sent was 130 miles. The message was sent using a 5” mirror by Captain Sadler of the Natal Carbineers in 1911. He signaled from Compassberg in Eastern Cape to a Major Home on the Cockscomb Mountains.
In 1938 2 Brigade Signal Squadron was the first Signal Unit to be established in Port Elizabeth and is in essence where Eastern Provence Command Signal Unit’s really started. 2 Brigade Signal Squadron was based in Potchefstroom in 1940 but in 1942 the Squadron appears to be designated as 2 Motorised Brigade Signal Squadron and the Permanent Force (PF) appears as 23 Fortress Signal Squadron during WWII.
In July of 1950 the designation is changed to 2 Armoured Brigade Signal Squadron. Re-designation again given in 1956 with effect from 1st January to No.2 Squadron of 4 Composite Signal Regiment.
On 23rd November 1958 the unit was re-designated 2 Signal Squadron. In 1960 the Eastern Province Command was formed and the following year the Signal Squadron was re-designated Eastern Province Command Signal Squadron.
The EP Command Signal Squadron kept this designation for ten years until on 1st September 1971 it was re-designated 102 Signal Squadron Permanent Force (PF) with a Citizen Force (CF) branch designated 202 Signal Squadron.
On 1st August 1975 the 102 PF and 202 CF Signal Squadrons were disbanded and incorporated into the new EP Command Signal Unit. On 1st August 1977 the unit became self-accounting unit the early 90’s.
1991 the EP Command Signal Unit’s official colour was approved on 23rd September by Command SADF. On 20th March 1992 The National Colours were received by the unit as part of an EP Command National Colours Presentation parade along with 11 other units.
On establishment of the CMI Formation in 1999 the unit was re-designated on 1st April the CMI Service Centre Port Elizabeth.
These are variant examples of Northern Transvaal Command Signal Unit flashes approved in May 1984. They are a metal based badge faced in coloured epoxy resin, secured by three stick pins. SA 0033 being the earlier variant of the two flashes and has the colours transposed. This is often referred to as being wrong but there are quite a few examples of these so they may not actually wrong.
Note: Many formations have left and right handed badges and some have the colour sequence also handed.
Pocket or Breast badge
Breast or Pocket badge (right) is a reduced shield of the same construction and design as the larger shoulder flash. It is secured by two stick pins to a leather or vinyl fob and is buttoned on to the breast pocket.
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0171]