Cape Fortress Engineers
Defence Electric Light & Telephone Trade Badge
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0150]
This is a gilt trade badge for the Defence Electric Light & Telephone Unit and was a sleeve worn article.
A Cape Fortress Engineers Signalling Section existed from 1914 and continued until taken over by the South African Engineer Corps SAEC in 1920. On the 19th May 1922 it became the Fortress Engineers and Signal Section South African Engineering Corps Permanent Force. On 22nd July 1922 a Works Maintenance Section was then added. The SAEC could not continue as then constituted and was reorganised with effect from 1st April 1929 into an Engineer Training Section and a Works Section. The two sections were as one unit under the command of Capt. JL Knobel.
The new establishment made provision for two officer’s and 35 other ranks in the Engineer Training Section and one officer and 21 other ranks in the Signal Section.
On the 31st July 1931 the unit became No.4 Company Cape Garrison Artillery, qualified members wore the Defence Electric Lights and Telephone trade badge. The DEL&T ceased to be on the 31st March 1933. (Cliff Lord)
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0400]