South Africa Defence Force
81 Signal Unit 1975 - 1991
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0025]
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0026]
The lineage and designations 81 Signal Unit stretched back to 1927 where on 1st August Brigade Section No.4 was established in Pretoria.
1st April 1935 re-designated Brigade (Signal) Section No.6.
On 1st July 1938 the Unit was re-designated 6 Brigade Signal Company SACS under the reorganization of the SA Corps of Signals (SACS) where Active Citizen Force (ACF) Brigade Signal Companies formed HQ’s in the major cities. 6 Brigade Signal Company SACS was disbanded on 6th September 1942. On 1st May 1946 the unit was re-established as 6 Brigade Signal Squadron. On 1st January 1954 it was re-designated 6 Armoured Brigade Signal Squadron SACS (ACF).
Re-designated again on 1st January 1955 1 Squadron of 4 Amalgamated Signal Regiment SACS. 31st January 1959 the unit was re-designated 6 Signal Squadron. 1st September 1971 again re-designated 77 Signal Squadron.
On 1st August 1975 it was re-designated 81 Signal Unit until on 1st October 1991 when it was absorbed into the Northern Cape Signal Unit.
This is a pair of 81 Signal Unit flashes. They are a metal based badge faced in coloured epoxy resin, secured by three stick pins.
Note: Many formations have left and right handed badges and some have the colour sequence also handed.
81 Signal Unit insignia is a fisted mailed glove, on a shield of the Signal Corps colours of Green, light Blue and Dark Blue. The fisted mailed glove emblem was adopted from 81 Armoured Brigade flash.