South Africa Defence Force
73 Signal Unit 1975 - 1993
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0034]
73 Signal Units task was the provision of signals support to 73 Motorised Brigade.
This is an example of 73 Signal Unit flash. It is a metal based badge faced in coloured epoxy resin, secured by three stick pins.
Beret Command Button Badge
he round button badge bearing the ‘73’ insignia on a green background is fixed by a screw post fixing.
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0387]
The lineage, history and designations of 73 Signal Unit goes back to 1954 with the establishment of 1 Infantry Brigade Signal Squadron SACS Active Citizen Force (ACF) on 1st January. The Signal Squadron had an approved entitlement of 8 officers and 141 rank and file though in actuality the total strength was only 23, officers and men. In 1956 the squadron was re-designated 3 Squadron 1 Armoured Division Regiment SACS. There were two further re-designations of the Squadron: 8 Signal Squadron SACS Citizen Force (CF) recorded strength 13 Officers and 110 men. A later re-designation was 62 Signal Squadron. On 1st April 1972 the unit was re-designated 73 Signal Squadron SACS CF. the Squadron consisted: 12 Officers, 72 NCO’s and some 269 to 353 men. The unit was re-designated 73 Signal Unit on 1st August 1975.
Note: Many formations have left and right handed badges and some have the colour sequence also handed.
73 Signal Unit insignia is simply figures ‘73’, on a shield of the Signal Corps colours of Green, light Blue and Dark Blue.