South Africa Defence Force
4 Electronic Workshop 1972 - 1990/1
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0062]
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0061]
Beret Command Button Badge
The Button design is a representation of a radar screen with a figure '4' in spectrum green with a silver flash of lightening on a cloud grey background.
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0082]
The lineage, designations and history began in 1948 with 16 Anti-Aircraft Depot SA Air Force (SAAF) at Castle.
In 1949 16 Anti-Aircraft Depot moved to Youngsfield and in 1950 personnel joined from 67 Base Workshop Technical Service Centre (TSC).
In 1957 the unit was re-designated Radar Maintenance Squadron and was attached to the Anti-Aircraft Centre at Youngsfield.
The unit was again re-designated 1st October 1964 as 4 Radar Maintenance Squadron and located in Hanger 2 at 10 Anti-Aircraft Regiment at Youngsfield Cape Town.
4 Radar Maintenance Squadron was re-designated 4 Electronic Workshop on 1st April 1972. It also became independent and self-accounting.
In 1983 it was decided that SACS were to be responsible for maintenance and repair of all 35mm Anti-Aircraft systems and this task was assigned to 4 Electronic Workshop.
These are two examples of the 4 Electronic Workshop flashes. They are a metal based badge faced in coloured epoxy resin, secured by three stick pins.
4 Electronic Workshop was disbanded in 1990/1 and the formation of 4 CMI (Command Management Information) Support Unit took over the 4 Electronic Workshop insignia.
4 CMI Support Unit was re-designated 4 Signal Regiment on 1st March 2009.
Pocket or Breast & Cravat badges
Beast or Pocket badge (right) is reduced versions of the same construction and design as the larger shoulder flash. The pocket badge is secured by two stick pins to a leather or vinyl fob and buttoned to the breast pocket.
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0140]