South Africa Defence Force
3 Electronic Workshop
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0058]
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0066]
Pocket or Breast & Cravat badges
Beast or Pocket badge (right) is reduced versions of the same construction and design as the larger shoulder flash. The pocket badge is secured by two stick pins to a leather or vinyl fob and buttoned to the breast pocket.
The lineage, designations and history began in 1940 with 1 Signal Service Base Workshop, at Zonderwater east of Pretoria.
The unit moved to Tech Base under the command of 61 Base Workshop at the end of WWII in 1945 as a 1 Signal Service Base Workshop Squadron.
The Squadron was disbanded in December 1946 but was resurrected in November 1948 attached to 61 General Workshop at Tech Base.
The Signal Service Base Workshop was re-designated 1 Base Signal Workshop in April 1953 and became independent from November.
On 1st April 1972 1 Base Signal Workshop was re-designated
3 Electronic Workshop.
These are two examples of the 3 Electronic Workshop flashes. They are a metal based badge faced in coloured epoxy resin, secured by three stick pins.
The main function of the Unit was in 1972 for the third line repair of all electronic equipment in the SA Army. This consisted of telecommunication equipment, Power supplies, rigging services all A and B vehicle installations and some anti-aircraft radar equipment.
In 1997 the unit was responsible for depot level repair of all electronic equipment within the SA Army. This included telecommunication and electrical power supply equipment anti-aircraft systems and installations in vehicles.
3 Electronic Workshop insignia is the figure ‘3’ over three orbiting electrons set in a wheel gear a shield of Blue.
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0168]
Beret Command Button Badge
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0322]