South Africa Defence Force
11 Field Postal Unit 1964 - 1989
The lineage, history and designations of 11 Field Postal Unit began during WWI. On 30th September 1914 a Citizen Force (CF) military postal service was established and designated South African Field Postal and Telegraph Corps. The South African Field Postal and Telegraph Corps provide a service vital to the SA troops with letters to and from home.
The formation continued after WWI and on 1st May 1939 it was re-designated Army Postal Service and again provided the troops with that service vital to moral during WWII.
On 22nd September 1964 the unit was re-designated 11 Field Postal Unit and was part of the Administrative Service Corps. In 1966 the Unit provided a Field Post Office (FPO) during the Republic Festival for the participating troops. In 1975 a study into mail distribution in the South West Africa/Angola border operational area was undertaken. As a result 14 personnel from 11 FPU were detached to Grootfontein to establish a mail distribution system in the operational area. And on 5th January 1976 Field Post Office 2 (FPO 2) was established in Grootfontein.
FPO 1 was established on 1st July 1982 in Pretoria and the main distribution was moved to FPO 1 in Pretoria. An Air Mail service was established twice a week between FPO 1 and FPO 2 greatly improving the service.
In 1989 the Unit celebrated its 25th Anniversary with 14 years uninterrupted service by a CF unit in the operational area. And in 1991 11 FPU became the first and only CF unit of the SADF to complete 27 years (since 1976) uninterrupted service in the operational area SWA/ Namibia.
During the integration of non-statutory forces in 1994 and during Operation BOLEAS 11 FPU also played a major role in supporting the newly formed South Africa National Defence Force (SANDF). Since 1999 11 FPU became part of the new Command Management Information (CMI) Formation
These are examples of 11 Field Postal Unit flashes. SA 0206 is 1st Type ans SA 0307 is 2nd Type. They are a metal based badge faced in coloured epoxy resin, secured by three stick pins.