South Africa Defence Force
1 Signal Regiment 1984 - 1994
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0040] 1970's
[Colin Hodgkins collection SA 0037] 1980's
These are examples of 1 Signal Unit flashes. They are a metal based badge faced in coloured epoxy resin, secured by three stick pins.
The 1 Signal Regiment insignia is derived from the collar badge worn by telegraphists of the old State Artillery of the South African Republic. This main part of the emblem is a representation of an electrical coil with electric bolt emanating out from each end. The Arabic numeral 1 stands behind the coil on a background of white over dark blue. The shield is bordered in by alternating green and silver.
1 Signal Regiment lineage, designations and history began with 10 Brigade Signal Company SACS.
On 26th January 1940 Union Defence Force (UDF) Adjutant-General announced the formation of 10 Brigade Signal Company which formed in Potchefsroom in March 1940. Within a few months of formation 10 Brigade Signal Company was dispatched to East Africa in with 1 Infantry Brigade on 17 July 1940. 10 Brigade Signal Company also saw action in the Middle East 1941-1942 taking part in the advance on Libya on 18th November 1941.
Re-designated 10 SA Brigade Signal Squadron in January 1943 after returning to Pietermaritzberg SA. By March 1943 the unit was again re-designated to reflect its change to an armoured role becoming 10 Armoured Brigade Signal Squadron. The unit moved to 1 Armoured Group HQ at Barberton. Elements of the Squadron took part in offensives in Italy.
At the end of WWII the unit became a Permanent Force (PF) based at Potchefsroom until 1957. In December 1957 10 Armoured Brigade Signal Squadron joined the School of Signals at Voortrekkerhoogte becoming a training wing to the School. On the 4th May 1962 it was re-designated, again to reflect its role, to 10 Signal Training Squadron.
The unit broke away from the School in February 1964 and was established as an independent training Squadron. Where on 12th May of the same year the unit was re-designated as 1 Signal Training Regiment. It retained this identity until 1st November 1969 when it was re-designated 1 Signal Regiment.
Ten years later on 1st January 1979 the unit again became part of the School of Signals at the Army Gymnasium and was re-designated National Service Men Training Branch (NSM). In 1986 the Regiment designation reverted back to 1 Signal Regiment on 1st January. On 17th August 1990 the Regiment was presented with the National Colours during a parade at the Army Gymnasium at Heidelberg.
In January 1994 the Minister of Defence Mr. J.H. Coetzee announced that the Army Gymnasium would revert back to its role of training Junior Leaders for the whole SA Army. 1 Signal Regiment left the Heidelberg on 5th December 1997 on the official closure of the School of Signals. The Regiment became an independent unit at Pretoria resuming its role as a tactical unit.